I was privileged enough to work on People CMM during my association with KPMG, working with many clients in India and abroad. I worked quite a long period of time undertaking Advisory, Assessment and Training people using People CMM. I cannot stop myself saluting the model developers, who were so creatively put this forward for the larger community. The people who studied this model, people who adopted this model to improve their HR systems and those organizations who went for Assessment, will surely know the true potential of this model and its benefits.
Some Salient features
HR Head/Managers: Most of the HR heads/Managers are lost in their day to day operational issues. Expectations from top management and line function are very high from this function. This gives a very powerful tool for HR managers to develop their people practices in a very a structured manner. HR people also struggle with how to design a policy, implement a policy and institutionalize the policy. The model provides a framework to design, implement and institutionalize practices and also bring in advanced level of practices step by step.
How does an organization adopt this model
Based on my involvement working on this model , I would like to put forward few observations as below:-
Process owner group.
The above groups commit their time to ensure that the targeted level aimed by the organization is realized.
Some of the key steps followed later on include:
1. Training Process owners and few key managers on the Model. Sometimes it is advisable to have a top management orientation in terms of expectations at a broad level. Process owner orientation will be a detailed one, which will help them to understand the interpretation of each best practice, how it needs to be implemented, what are challenges in implementation etc.
2. Diagnostic or Gap Analysis will be done keeping People CMM model as a benchmark and study the organization’s HR policies and processes to see the prevailing gaps. Post this Gap analysis report will presented to the above group with strengths and areas of improvement with a detailed action plan.
3. Bridging gaps and evolving HR systems to be based on People CMM requirement. This would involve designing HR policies, processes, templates, establishing metrics, designing HR programs and plans based on model requirements, bringing in practices like job evaluation, competency model, streamlining job description, putting in place performance framework, Career framework just to name few. Once this is done, the policies will be rolled out and model provides guidance to institutionalize the polices and processes. All these needs to be validated through implementation records and interviewing managers and non- managers in the organization.
4. Appraisal readiness review will be carried out to see whether organization is ready in terms of planning an assessment.
5. Appraisal Planning : Lead Assessor certified by SEI can only conduct the Assessment. He will identify Assessment team from the organization and orient them on the model and also on the Assessment method. There will be a detailed document review which is called ( IDR- initial document review)
6. SCAMPI Appraisal – This would include interviewing Process owners, Managers and non- Manager Group covering nearly 10-20% of the organization size. Each best practice in People CMM will be looked at from three aspects, whether all the defined policies have been implemented through implementation records. Is there any direct evidence for implementation. What are the indirect evidences and lastly through affirmations or interviews from process owner, Manager and non- manager group. For each of the interviews an observation will be written and classified it as direct evidence, indirect evidence and affirmations. Once the appraisal is completed there will be a rating process whether organization is assessed at that particular level.
Some of the issues PCMM model tries to deal with include
(This model is developed by Software Engineering Institute, Pittsburgh associated with Carnegie Mellon University.
The site of Software Engineering Institute is http://www.sei.cmu.edu/
You can download the model using link http://www.sei.cmu.edu/library/abstracts/reports/09tr003.cfm
If the reader of this article is keen to have more information about this model, they can write to : firstname.lastname@example.org